In this article we are going to try and help you remove Footybase. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Programs of the Browser Hijacker type are an annoyance and despite the way some of them might be promoted, they are usually unwanted programs that have no useful function for the actual users. In this removal guide we will be focusing on Footybase – yet another of those intrusive pieces of software that, once on your PC, make sure to frustrate you as long as they remain installed. A typical browser hijacker invades all browsers on your PC such as Chrome, Firefox and IE and can change your homepage, default search engine and might even redirect your browser to websites that you do not want to open. These are only a few of the potential negative traits that a program such as Footybase might have. Thus, it is important that you remove the intrusive piece of programming as soon as you notice its presence. In order to be able to deal with the issue, make sure to read this article to its very end, since it contains essential information concerning Browser Hijackers that might come in handy both at the current moment and in the future.
Introducing you to Browser Hijackers
As you might have already guessed, these programs are not there to help you. The only reason for their existence is to generate money for their creators without presenting the user with anything of actual use. Some applications like Footybase.com might promote other products by the same developer, others might employ the pay-per-click scheme for some extra income. There are quite a few ways via which such a program can exploit both you and your PC in the name of profit. A number of Hijackers might actually be promoted as being useful and beneficial to your machine. However, in the majority of cases this is not true or the function is overstated and is by no means worth the negative effects of the program. Whatever the case, we believe that Footybase should be eliminated from one’s PC without hesitation.
Footybase “Virus” is not a virus at all, yet you still need to be cautious
Contrary to some opinions throughout the web, applications like Footybase are not the same as malicious viruses such as Ransomware. While Browser Hijackers are certainly something you would not want on your PC, they are, in most cases, neither illegal nor harmful to your machine. The same cannot be said about the noxious Ransomware and the other types of nasty viruses you can get if you are not careful online. With all that being said, though, Footybase is still a piece of software that you should be careful around. Sometimes it might display overstated or outright false error messages that urge the user to get a certain PC optimization tool (which is often by the same developer). The thing is that in most cases that other program is nothing but more needless and unwanted software. Another questionable trait of some Hijackers is their ability to look through the user’s online history and record the data for later use. The information might be sold to marketing companies or outright utilized to spam your browser with all sorts of intrusive ads that have been customized in accordance with your personal preferences. Furthermore, due to the high CPU and RAM usage that the processes ran by Footybase require, your machine might experience a slow-down or even freeze. With all that being said, it should be obvious by now, why the best course of action would be to remove the bothersome piece of software.
What got you the Hijacker?
Out of all possible methods for Footybase.com distribution such as spam e-mails and illegal torrent files, probably the most effective one remains the infamous file-bundling. These are program installers that apart from the main program hold a bunch of other applications that get installed alongside it. If you download and install such a software package, you might also get the Hijacker as well. However, this method is legal and as long as the user is vigilant, they’ll be able to avoid the installation of the intrusive add-on while still getting the desired main program. In fact, all you need to do next time you are about to install any program (especially if it is a free one) is to choose the Advanced/Custom settings instead of the Quick ones. This allows you to see the list of added installs. Once you get there, uncheck everything that you thing might be a Browser Hijacker or any other sort of unwanted software. After doing so, you should have no problem installing the program you want without getting the bothersome Browser Hijacker.
Remove Footybase “Virus” from Chrome/Firefox
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Footybase or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Footybase From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Footybase and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Footybase From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Footybase From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.